Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Dinner With Andre

I finally got around to watching the Louis Malle film, "My Dinner with Andre". I had been hesitant to watch it since I had so many friends who counted it amongst their favorite movies, and I didn't want to disappoint anyone if I didn't like it.

I did like it, but I didn't love it. Wallace Shawn, Vizzini in the Princess Bride, is fantastic, but his characteristic laugh grates.

This film exemplifies a trend I have noticed in real life and most aspects of culture: once you decide to tackle the deep issues of life - love, religion, meaning of life etc. - you sound like an idiot and you spout clichés. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that the film did treat these issues well enough that I was engaged and felt no compulsion to roll my eyes. Unfortunately, the characters were seeking greater meaning in their acting and performance, and I simply do not believe that art is life- it can bring pleasure, pain and insight, but I cannot be convinced that life's mysteries can be illuminated camping in the woods with Polish actors.

The discussion was much better than the 'deep' discussions I overhear others having in person, or even the misguided ones I myself have tried to have. And it was better than most literature that tackles tough issues, including the texts of major religions, most philosophers, and especially Paulo Coelho. (As a side note, I am disappointed that my sister was so enchanted by The Alchemist. On the other hand I am impressed by the authors devotion to open source.) In literature, I have found examples of authors who deal adroitly and effectively with these big questions, primarily by having action occur about the issues in a realistic manor. These authors include Milan Kundera (whose writing I love, but whose conclusions about life I do not agree with), Haruki Murakami, and Marilynne Robinson.

So pop "My Dinner With Andre" out of the DVD player and pick up one of their books instead.

No comments: